Rightly spiced, incredibly moist, delectable, these delicious whole wheat carrot walnut cupcakes are definitely drool worthy. It’s incredible in taste and topped with creamy cream cheese topping, it is too awesome for words. Carrot adds in color, flavor, sweetness, moisture and nutrition to the cupcakes. Carrot cake is one of the most popular cake and I prefer it’s mini version – cupcakes
My kid is a fussy eater so I always look in for making him eat his veggies so the best way was to add to his desserts. If you have the same issues like me, then why not try this recipe, meanwhile , you can also check in my Zucchini Brownies too.
I had prepared these cupcakes in the past with eggs and generally use condensed milk as a egg replacer. However , lately I received requests for replacing condensed milk so I decided to prepare these cupcakes minus eggs and condensed milk and yes, it tastes equally awesome.
Since my kid is fond of cakes and cupcakes, during this pandemic, I decided to bake most of my sweet treats with whole wheat flour and yes this one has light airy crumb just as all purpose flour(Maida) has. so you need to definitely try this one out.
Now carrot cupcakes taste best as is but when nuts/coconuts/raisins etc are added, it adds in more taste
*Brown sugar adds in perfect moistness to the cupcakes, you can use jaggery as a replacement too if desired. If using white sugar then use 1/2 of white and 1/2 of brown sugar
*Do not add more than 1 cup grated carrots or even lesser as it will not add in the right flavor and texture. Carrots lends in moisture to these cupcakes along with taste
**The spices can be adjusted as per taste. You can add in nuts/raisins/shredded coconut as desired in these cupcakes
***Sieve dry ingredients 2-3 times for that light airy texture to the cupcakes
Do Watch the video for better clarity in preparation and share your experience once you prepare the cake
Preparation time: 10 mins Baking time: 20 mins Total time: 30 mins
Servings: 10-12 Cupcakes
1 cup = 240 ml
- 120 g whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp whisked yogurt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup any Neutral flavored Oil
- 1 cup grated Carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
Steps to prepare
*Always read notes before preparation
- Preheat oven to 180 deg cel and line cupcakes tray
- Sieve whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sieve this mixture twice and keep it aside
- In a bowl, whisk oil and sugar until well combined
- Add yogurt and vanilla extract, mix well
- Now gently fold in carrots.
- Gradually add dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix
- Gently fold in chopped walnuts and mix
- Pour the batter into Cupcakes mould until 2/3 full and level evenly
- Bake for 18-25 minutes until done
- Cool for 10 mins in the tray, demould and cool on wire rack completely
- You can munch on the cupcakes as is or frost and serve
- For cream cheese frosting, click the link – Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
- The cupcakes will remain fresh for a week at room temperature but if you have frosted it and then refrigerate it and consume within 2-3 days.